Since my university, I have difficulty in explaining where I come from as there is one 'alien' added to my self description - 'Cognitive Science'. Whenever people hear about my first degree, which is Bachelor of Cognitive Science with the University of Hong Kong, they would frown a bit and give me a puzzle look. Before they open their mouths, I can reply straight away, 'Yes, a pretty new subject at that time and even for now... haha... (the 'haha' is also a laugh to myself that.... "errr... yes... I also don't know what I really get myself into... haha...")'. At first, I tried to explain in greater details hopefully this would help their imagination of what I studied. However, as I saw there were more question marks on their faces after my elaboration, I would smile and said, 'No worries. To put it simple, it is just all about human brain.'
You can say it is interesting, at least something unique. ("... ya right... something so 'unique' that no one can quite appreciate...") If you ask my classmates, who are also the first pioneers of this course, all of us will tell you that this is no fun at all, especially at the time when we first graduated. 'What can we do?' 'Are we not professional?' The truth is, nearly most of us, except one who is about to graduate from her PhD in this field (*salute to her persistence*... it is really not easy...), have given up our original identity and joined different professions instead.
Sounds a bit sad... BUT I would say all of us are doing quite well. We turn out to be a unique group with marketing director, HR professional, primary school teacher, secondary school teacher, lawyer, civil servant, computer experts, management, company boss, nurse... Nearly anything you can name and I must say, they are very successful. I am so proud of them!
For me, I have worked in the educational and training field since graduation. This is not exactly a coincidence as I plan to devote my career life in building people. Either indirectly by performing administration job in a tertiary eductional institution or directly by teaching and coaching. I am a firm believer in people potential. I believe every one is good, even they may not see and believe in that by themselves. I see everyone as special and talented, just in different senses. That's where my passion is and that's why I love to spend my career on developing people.
Yesterday, I attended a seminar on Emergenetics which is an innovative way of looking at your behavior and thought. The Emergenetics profile, based on a lot of brain research, is a tool that gives people an in-depth window into their brain. When I talked with the Executive Director of the Emergenetics Asia Pte Ltd, he told me that one line of their business is to apply neuroscience in life. They are now using this profiling tools on kids aged from 9 to 18, helping them understand their natural strength for better development. May be this topic is about brain, which supposed to be my area of 'expertise'. May be this life application is something that I have anticipated for long since my university study. I feel a strong urge inside me to do 'something'... to support? yes, I could not deny myself and bought the book on that topic merely with the intention to show support in brain related research! to contribute? yes, I wish to... and I am now toying with the idea of doing voluntary work for them, if possible... Of course, it may be much more complicated than what I think but I would say this should be meaningful...
Life is like that. At any one point of your life, you can never figure out what is the whole puzzle in God's plan. When I am about to downplay my past Cognitive Science background, my enthusiasm in this subject seems to rekindle again. Who knows? Maybe one day I will realize my mission is related to that! Never underestimate every happening in our life. It may be sweet that makes us enjoy. It may be sour that makes us refuse to take. A lot of times, we can't comprehend and ask why... But just press on with faith that God is arranging the best for us. Without today, there is no tomorrow. Just place trust on Him that every good and bad at one time has its meaning and it will be GOOD for us at the end. Smile and be grateful at all times. May peace be with you always...
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." ...
God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.
~ Genesis 1:27-28, 31
(Afterthought: When we look at the world's famous painting 'Mono Lisa', we cannot imagine how Leonardo da Vinci could give 'soul' to his artwork so that Mono Lisa can meet our eyes at different angles. When we look at the world's longest structure 'The Great Wall of China', we cannot imagine how men could build a stone series of 6400km long without the use of machinery. When we look at the world's most complicated creature human being, I really cannot imagine how this masterpiece can be crafted without a Creator...)
18 Oct 2007
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
1. Everyone can give his/her 'soul' to draw a figure with the eyes looking to the front, i.e. the eyeball in the center of the eyes, then all of them will become 'Mona Lisa'.
2. When I looked at 'The Great Wall', I imagined that ... it was built by blood and live ... and also stone and mud.
3. When I looked at myself in the mirror, hm... I knew that I was created by my father and mother. :P
Hee... Long Time No See and Talk! Best wish to have a gorgeous life! ^_^
Oh... Really long time no see and talk la~! Surprised to know that you still click to my blog... haha :)
1. haha... is that so easy? Then our work should appear in France! :P
2. Yes, that's true...
3. haha. hmm... as you are a computer expert, let me use an analogy... I think the creation of you is like the generation of an end product (e.g. my blog) via a well-designed computer system. It is simple to 'create' by the end user but in fact there are a lot of intelligence inside the system with complicated programming and user-interface design. Without the full knowledge of how the DNA happened, our father and mother 'created' us... But still, I think there is a Creator who created this 'system' (i.e. human being).
Cheers! Do respond more la! =)
I don't know ... I just found that the subject "Cognitive Science" is so cool and relevant to our today's life. Seriously ...
I seldom come across people who really pursue a career that they study for. I think there is a discontinuity between what educational sector offers and what the society demands. Except if you study and work in Singapore, the government already plans out what's the proportion of the students goes to which field.
And I often think that what you are working on right now is pretty close to what you studied for ... no?
At least closer than my career and my background ... ha ha ha.
haha... now looking back, I do find my subject is quite 'cool'. At least, I have one more topic for small talk. Sometimes, when people can't exactly comprehend what's the thing all about, they will give credit instead of criticizing... :P
Honestly, what we actually studied is not too important... It is the ability to think and learn, which is the most important. =)
Post a Comment